A Year in Review

I would love to be good at blogging consistently.

So we bought a house and a puppy. If I blogged often you would have already seen all the changes we’ve made to the house, and how much our pup, Duke, has grown in size. But I haven’t, so you’ve missed a bit. And right now the house is not in picture taking shape, so again, missing out. Hopefully at some point I can get around to showing a couple of small projects.

I can’t believe it is already 2014. I thought 2012 was crazy with getting used to marriage and lots of travels, but 2013 was gone in the blink of an eye. Some highlights from our year:

| j a n u a r y | I started a new job – my dream job – as the high school assistant at our church. We also started perusing houses.

| f e b r u a r y | Winter Retreat with 250 wonderful students and staff. It was my first big event so I was nervous about everything going well, and it did! Thank the Lord. A few weeks before that I saw a house that I absolutely loved, but B didn’t feel that the time was right. That was a really hard moment for me of stepping back and letting my husband lead us the way he felt was best. Submitting to my husband in marriage is not always easy for my only child personality. I’m working on it.

| a p r i l | Jamaica missions trip! Another first for me at work, and a week that will forever be one of my favorites. I left a piece of my heart with the many children we worked with, and with a sweet young mom who I connected with. B was determined to buy a house while I was gone since he knew how frustrated I was getting with the house hunt, it didn’t happen but I love that he tried.

| m a y | After months of searching, praying, offering, losing, we finally made an offer on a house. The next day it went to a bidding war situation and we had 48 hours to decide what to do. That afternoon I met our fantastic realtor at a house that had gone up for sale in the neighborhood of that house I loved back in February. We had seen 2 other houses in the neighborhood since that time and fell in love with them. They were the ones that we lost out on, and that was a heartbreaking time for me. So even though we had made another offer, I decided to just take one last look. The house I met her at was awful, but while she was waiting for me she noticed that the house across the street was being flipped. The awesome person that she is, she did some research and found the owner. We sneaked a peek at the inside through the back window, and I kid you not, I hugged the house. And then I started to panic. After losing bids on houses and finally having one that we had a shot at getting, I didn’t know if we wanted to take the leap to try and get the “new” one instead. B and I talked about it and prayed about it and decided to let our offer expire.

| j u n e | After a month of ups and downs negotiating for the house, God provided and we closed on our home. It is in the neighborhood that we fell in love with, and took all of the best qualities from the other two houses we had offered on and then some. We are floored that our first house is what it is and so thankful that we trusted God’s timing. We closed on the house and moved in the week before our other mission trip of the year, Detroit. While it was crazy moving and being away for a week, June was one of the best months of the year.

| a u g u s t | Duke came home! And let me tell you, having an 8 week old puppy is similar to having a new baby. Sleep training was rough. This mama couldn’t handle him crying in his crate the first night and cuddled him to sleep. I fear what this means for our [distant] future of children. We did eventually crate train him so that he would love being in there, and now we let him roam free at night. However, he has quadrupled in size since we brought him home, and a 45 pound moving animal makes a queen bed feel like a twin.

| o c t o b e r | Second retreat of the year, another amazing weekend.

| n o v e m b e r | November was, without a doubt, the craziest month of the year for us. B’s grandmother was not doing well health wise, so we drove out to the far side of Iowa to spend a few moments with her to say our goodbyes. It is a 13ish hour drive each way, so we left on a Saturday morning and got back home on Monday night. Shortly after we walked in the door we got the call that she had passed away. We were home for a few days and then headed back out at the end of the week and spent another weekend there for the funeral. It was draining, but it was such a sweet time spent with B’s family. We got back the following Monday, and that Thursday I jumped in a van with our student ministry team to head down to Nashville for the Youth Specialties Conference. Even though it was absolutely crazy being in a car/van for 68 hours over a 2 week span, I was so thankful for every moment of it.

| d e c e m b e r | After a crazy November, B and I tried to be intentional about taking some time for ourselves before Christmas chaos started. We spent an incredible night in downtown Detroit hanging out in the city that we have both fallen in love with. Christmas was crazy as usual, but a great time with friends and family.

I hope your 2013 was as wonderful as ours [hopefully a little less crazy] and that your 2014 is starting off equally as great!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s